Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Budget Review

January is over and one of my 2012 resolutions was to keep better track of and improve our finances.
So far, I have been utterly unsuccessful and overspent by $291.00!!!

  • Budget allowance for groceries/household goods/toiletries was $600.  We spent $670 PLUS $180 on fast food (OH MY!)
  • Budget allowance for miscellaneous expenses was $150. We spent $230 which included clothes, two fluffy bums, random Ikea stuff, $45 cash spent who knows where and a case (yes, a case) of Tassimo Chai Tea Latte T-Disks.
  • Budget allowance for medical expenses was $150.  We spent $170.
  • Budget allowance for vehicle expenses/gas was $300.  We spent $235 (not too shabby!).

Despite going under budget on vehicle expenses we still ended up going hundreds of dollars OVER BUDGET!  Oh Bother! I would love to some day build our dream home and take the kids on a Disney World Alaskan Cruise, but in order for that to happen we NEED to stop over spending!


My daughter was in definite need of new clothes.  She had went through a major growth spurt over the holidays and was beginning to outgrow her entire wardrobe so that portion of my spending was a worthy expenditure.  However, due to that extra expense I probably should have held off on getting those fluffy bums, but sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants... As for the Chai Tea Latte's.... Well, those were a necessity!



Next month I'll be stronger and I am determined to stick to the budget.  I have officially declared February to be void of fast food and I will pay much much closer attention to what our miscellaneous money is being spent on. 


I WILL NOT go over budget in February even if it means Chai Tea Latte withdrawal! YIKES!


In terms of saving and making extra money, I would rate my accomplishments this month as being barely satisfactory.
January's Coupons Savings = $64.00
Online Survey Earnings = $56.50


Hoping for a better February

No comments:

Post a Comment