Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ear Infection Update

Is it an ear infection?  Or is it not an ear infection?  That is the question... and we may actually have to go to the the doctors to seek the answer.  

We're on day 2 with a fever.  It rose slightly higher than yesterday and peaked at 39.0 C.  Still not terribly high, but high enough to make him uncomfortable.  My poor little man is restless and has been napping for very short periods of time periodically throughout the day.  My husband and I rotated shifts last night.  We're both exhausted!  

Today, there was no ear pulling.  Just misery.  Aside from the fever and slight lethargy my little man has no other physical symptoms of illness.  No respiratory ailments, no digestive upset, just a fever and some lethargy.  He did get up and crawl around a few times throughout the day but most of his day was spent cuddling.  

He didn't eat much solid food today and sustained himself primarily on mommy milk along with some water.  I worry of dehydration.  He was not as "drooly" as usual though his lips didn't seem abnormally dry.  He voided the recommended amount, his skin turgor normal, capillary reflex normal, heart rate normal, respirations normal but I worry.  

A part of me is concerned that the ear pulling stopped.  His body is obviously fighting an infection of some sort and if it were an ear infection it seems rather bizarre that the ear pulling would stop so soon before the cessation of the fever.  I worry that he may have an infection elsewhere... Urinary perhaps.  I've spent so much time and effort advocating against circumcision it seems just my luck that my little uncircumcised son would fall prey to one of the risks of not circumcising.  

If things don't improve tomorrow I will take him to be assessed.  If I knew for certain it was an ear infection I would feel comfortable to give it another day or too but I'm concerned of it being a possibly urinary tract infection and even more concerned of the possibility of it progressing to his little kidneys.  In the meantime, I'll pray for improvement and healing.  

Sometimes I love being a mother
And other times I ask myself 'Why?'  

Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment